Who is a Class Member
You are included in the City of Oak Park, Michigan Water Rates class action settlement includes “all persons or entities who/which paid the City for water and sewer service between October 22, 2009 and August 31, 2018.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
“The size of each Claiming Class Member’s Pro Rata [equal] Share shall be determined by (1) calculating the total amount of W&S Charges the Claiming Class Member paid during the Class Period and then (2) dividing that number by the total amount of W&S Charges the City assessed during the Class Period against all Claiming Class Members and then (3) multiplying that fraction by the amount of the Net Settlement Fund.”
Proof of Purchase
- You will need to provide your Notice ID and Confirmation Code printed on the address label of your Notice Packet. If you did not receive or lost your Notice, you can still submit a claim and will be identified based on your Water & Sewer Account Number.
City of Oak Park, Michigan Water Rates Settlement Notes
- Kish v. City of Oak Park
- Case No. 2015-149751-CZ
- Pending in Oakland County Circuit Court, State of Michigan
Plaintiffs Judy Kish and Joyce Bannon filed this class action lawsuit challenging two cost components included in the City of Oak Park, Michigan’s water and sewer rates. Specifically, a mandatory debt service charge knowns as the Kuhn Facility Debt Charge and a mandatory stormwater disposal charge.
According to the complaint, the inclusion of these charges are structured to increase revenues and are not for any regulatory purpose. Additionally, the plaintiffs say city officials charged rates that exceeded actual costs of providing water and sewer services.
The City of Oak Park denies that the charges are improper but agreed to settle to the tune of $2.85 million to avoid further litigation costs. The settlement will be used to pay refunds to Class Members who file valid and timely claims as well as attorneys’ fees and associated court costs. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the
Class members who wish to object to the City of Oak Park Water Rates settlement must do so by January 23, 2019. Class members who wish to exclude themselves must do so by December 29, 2018.
Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit a claim form on or before January 9 2019.
- 1/9/19: Claim Form Deadline
- 1/23/19: Objection Deadline
- 12/29/18: Exclusion Deadline
- 2/6/19: Final Hearing at 8:30 am ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check the settlement website at OakParkSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Kish v. City of Oak Park, c/o Angeion Group, 1650 Arch Street, Suite 2210, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Phone: 1-866-780-5352
- Email: [email protected]
- George D. Hanley, Jamie K. Warrow and Edward F. Kickham Jr. of Kickham Hanley PLLC