Who is a Class Member
The Big 5 Stores Bearpaw Hiking Boots Class Action Settlement includes “all persons who purchased Bearpaw Lassen WP men’s and women’s hiking boots from a Big 5 Sporting Goods store in California between January 25, 2012 through October 20, 2017.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
- $5 Cash or $7.50 Voucher
Class members who submit a valid and timely claim form can choose to receive either:
- $5 Cash (proof of purchase required) ; or
- $7.50 Merchandise Voucher that can be used in-store at any Big 5 Sporting Goods location in California (cannot be used online)
Each class member may receive only one cash award or one merchandise voucher.
Proof of Purchase
- To receive a cash award, you must submit proof showing you purchased Bearpaw Lassen WP men’s or women’s hiking boots at a Big 5 Sporting Goods store in California. You do not need to submit proof of purchase to receive a merchandise voucher.
Big 5 Stores Bearpaw Hiking Boots Settlement Notes
- Jason Carmody v. Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp., et al.
- Case No. 37-2016-0002469-CU-BT-CTL
- Pending in the Superior Court of the State of California, County of San Diego
This class action lawsuit arises from allegations that Big 5 Sporting Goods misrepresented the waterproof nature of Bearpaw Lassen WP hiking boots. Plaintiff Jason Carmody brought the complaint in January 2016, asserting Big 5 violated California’s Unfair Competition Law and California’s False Advertising Laws.
Big 5 but agreed to settle the case for the purpose of avoiding prolonged litigation and the uncertainty of a trial.
The Frequently Asked Questions section on the settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Big 5 Stores Bearpaw Hiking Boots Settlement website.
Class members who wish to excludes themselves or object to the terms of the Big 5 Stores Bearpaw Hiking Boots Settlement must do so by April 18 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim must do so by May 3, 2018.
- 5/3/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 4/18/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 6/1/18: Final Hearing at 9:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check BPLassenSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Carmody v. Big 5 Settlement Administrator, PO Box 404041, Louisville, KY 40233-4041
- Phone: 1-866-863-8937
- Mark Potter of Law Offices of Mark Potter
- Will Lemkul of Morris Sullivan & Lemkul LLP